Interesting new news – to be honest I didn’t even know Tucows were into blogs…
I haven’t blogged for soooo long… am I a bad person?
Just started my webcapture script again for Blogwise – it waits 5 seconds for a page to load before taking a picture. There are over 15,000 blogs now (yay). I make that almost 21 hours. I’ve just started it now, so if there are no problems (which there almost certainly will be…), I should be done by tomorrow night!
The script itself is a hacked up Visual Basic program, with some DDI calls to Mozilla Firefox. It takes a full-screen capture and dumps the BMP to a file. I then run a program on all those bitmaps (15,000 bitmaps is a lot…) to make them into JPEGs, then do a mass upload. I need to find a better way of doing this :-(….
While considering how I’m going to manage the new version of Blogwise, I decided it would be a good idea to keep revisions of details recorded, since automated processes will be updating blogs’ details fairly regularly and I want to note changes and be able to revert.
I use MySQL and I can’t find a good existing solution. This article suggests an ideal way one might go about it, and I was planning to adopt a similar idea anyway (storing diffs in some kind of history table) so seeing this has given me more confidence to try it!
Looks like Google have now applied their tilde ~ fuzzy searching to all searches.
Searching for "mysql database versioning" (see next post…) gives results with ‘databases’ and ‘version’ highlighted as well. Of course they might just be highlighting the alternative words but not actually using them, I’m not entirely sure yet!